As I get closer to the end of this pregnancy, my body is just tired. I am having a hard time bending over (whaaat?! 🙂 and I am loving smaller projects I can start and finish in an afternoon, if I’m lucky. We’ve been spending a lot of time at the swimming pool and that means my boys are wiped out in the late afternoon, so I get some sewing time.
One of my favorite quilters is Meg from Monograms for Makers. She released a FREE pillow pattern for a fun gingham quilt on point and I knew I had to make one for a pillow refresh for my couch. I used two of my favorite, hoarded cotton + steel basics paired with another hoarded Rifle Paper Co. print to create a slightly less conventional gingham pattern.
Since I spend a lot of time sitting trying to not have this baby early, I also decided to do some big stitch hand quilting. I love the look of hand quilting. If you’re not someone who is confident or familiar with big stitch hand quilting with perle cotton, might I recommend a pillow cover as a great place to start? It’s small enough to work with and get enough practice without being a daunting project.
I am pretty sure I can’t be the only person who is THRILLED that scrunchies are back. Sure, they were great the first time around, but this time I have a fabric stash! I can use my favorite, most treasured bits of fabric and wear them in a socially acceptable way in my hair! It is just the BEST!
After looking a a few tutorials, I landed on the Martha Stewart tutorial as my favorite. It made the most sense to me, even though they are all pretty similar. It just so happened that I had a bunch of 3.5″ strips lying around and I maybe went a little crazy…….
The really good news is, I am set on gifts for friends for awhile. 🙂 Have you been bitten by the scrunchie craze?
I have been working on a Cotton + Steel selvage quilt for awhile now. It’s been slow going as I’ve needed to cut off more selvages and as friends have sent me some of theirs. I love having a relatively mindless project like this going in the background of life to pull out when I’d like to sew, but I don’t know what. It seems every time I post about it on instagram, somebody asks how I make my blocks. I know there are many, many ways to do this and many, many tutorials that exist. Here is how I do this:
First, I cut muslin to 8 1/2″ square. I have found this to be a good length for a variety of selvages, including fat eighths. I didn’t want to limit myself to having to have the diagonal length required that only fat quarters would suffice. It does mean making more blocks, but I don’t mind that one bit.
Start with a selvage that is face up and more or less centered. I never measure. I just eyeball it.
Next, line up another selvage that is long enough on the edge.
Sew along the edge using a 1/4″ seam, and then press toward the new piece (strawberries for me)
Continue this process until you reach the corner.
Once you reach the corner, repeat this process going in the opposite direction.
If you’re thinking that this looks really janky, you are right. Head to your cutting mat and flip the block over. I trim mine down to 8-1/4″ at this point.
Now you’re done! It really is a simple process. I can’t wait until Ruby Star bundles are more readily available to start sprinkling those in as well!